Hi! I served a mission in the Sweden Stockholm mission several years ago and am now married to a returned missionary and starting a family.

Please share this blog with others so we can help as many future missionaries as possible. Feel free to add your own advice. I hope this can help many young people preparing to go on a mission, but most specifically, sisters.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions or any post ideas!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Studying a foreign language

 For those of you who will be learning a foreign language (if not, ignore this one :) ).

- Speak the mission language as much as possible! With members, investigators, random people, and even with your companion and other missionaries. A lot of missionaries agree to only speak the mission language whenever they're outside the apartment (English is allowed inside), or something like that. It's hard, yes, it's very hard. But it'll be worth it. I promise. Don't worry about making mistakes or about your American accent, just speak. Yes, this is easier said than done, but I urge you to try. You'll be very happy you did.
- Another tip if you'll be learning a foreign language... You'll have one hour every day to study the language. Use this hour wisely! One of my favorite things to do was to read the Liahona, especially the Friend section. I didn't just read it and look up vocabulary, though. I picked it apart and figured out WHY the sentence was structured that way. And I paid attention to common phrases. Then I asked my companion if I didn't understand something or didn't understand why they said it that way. I used the back pages of my daily planner to keep track of vocabulary and phrases I wanted to remember. That way I could study them throughout the day if I had a couple free minutes. You could also do this same thing with Preach My Gospel and the books in the missionary library.
- Another good idea for language study is to practice the vocabulary and phrases you'll use in a lesson with an investigator. Write out sentences or do role playing with your companion.
- Find out the vocabulary and some phrases for the things you are interested in, what you're studying in school, where you come from, what your family is like, etc. Then you'll actually be able to answer when members ask you questions about yourself.
- A comment by my cousin who has served a mission:
     For learning a language, read the whole Book of Mormon out loud in the mission language. Practice the sounds with certain words over and over. Have members tell you what to work on as far as pronunciation goes (even if you don't ask, they will probably tell you). And remember to apply D&C 11:21 with learning a language, to work on patience. That became one of my favorite scriptures. You need to study the language (and the lessons) in order to speak and teach well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment