Hi! I served a mission in the Sweden Stockholm mission several years ago and am now married to a returned missionary and starting a family.

Please share this blog with others so we can help as many future missionaries as possible. Feel free to add your own advice. I hope this can help many young people preparing to go on a mission, but most specifically, sisters.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions or any post ideas!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dealing with persecution

Fortunately, I did not have to deal with very much persecution as a missionary. However, I know that some missionaries do so I thought (after receiving ideas from family members) it'd be a good topic to bring up.

The number one rule here is to remember that you are a representative of Jesus Christ. Be sure that you are acting and behaving like He would. 

Here's an experience my dad had on his mission in France and Switzerland:
        "I had a companion that was a very "spirited" individual. When someone would shout obscenities or throw eggs at us he would get defensive and shout back - I taught him how to just wave back and pretend it was a greeting. Whenever we were bombarded with eggs we noted that not one egg hit us. Our bikes got hit, and they landed all around us, but never did they hit us directly. One time an egg hit me in the chest as I leaned forward. I suppose my suit coat cushioned the blow enough that the egg fell down unbroken. We stood there stunned, looking at the egg on the ground (it had broken when it hit the ground)... a simple thing, maybe. But to me it was a testimony that missionaries are protected - even if it only meant we were saved from having egg on us for our next appointment."

Once on my mission, we taught a young man who was from the middle east and yet was interested in Christianity. While in his home one day, his uncle, who was very against Christianity, came home. The uncle started yelling all sorts of things at us that were not true. (I don't remember exactly what they were but they were not nice.) We were very tempted to yell back and try to correct his beliefs about us, but we didn't. We just got up and left.

It is very hard sometimes to just ignore persecution and leave. The persecutors will often be saying things against what is very sacred to you. However, it will just make it worse to get defensive and fight back. They want you to fight back. So don't. Take a deep breath, and walk away. If you need to, sing hymns to yourself or say a prayer. Like my dad and his companion were, you will be blessed for it.

Like it says it 3 Nephi 11: 28-30:


28 And according as I have commanded you thus shall ye baptize. And there shall be no adisputations among you, as there have hitherto been; neither shall there be disputations among you concerning the points of my doctrine, as there have hitherto been.
 29 For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit ofacontention is not of me, but is of the bdevil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.
 30 Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things ashould be done away.

What are we, as missionaries, there for? To talk and preach of Christ. To bring peace, not contention.

In D&C 42:14, it says:

...if ye receive not the bSpirit ye shall not teach.

What would happen if you fought back? You'd lose the Spirit. Losing the Spirit makes it impossible to be an effective missionary.

You are a representative of Jesus Christ. Act and behave like He would and you will be an effective missionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment