Hi! I served a mission in the Sweden Stockholm mission several years ago and am now married to a returned missionary and starting a family.

Please share this blog with others so we can help as many future missionaries as possible. Feel free to add your own advice. I hope this can help many young people preparing to go on a mission, but most specifically, sisters.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions or any post ideas!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission Exercising

Anyone who knows me knows that I am NOT an exerciser. Especially running. I hate running. It was really hard for me to wake up every morning as a missionary and exercise for 30 minutes. Part of that was because I really didn't know how to exercise other than going running or doing crunches. And you already know how excited I was about running.

So my question to you is... Do you know how to exercise? It may seem like a simple enough question, but when you have 30 minutes to exercise, what do you do? What if it's really cold outside? Okay, most of you probably know a lot more about exercising than I did. But, it's still something to think about. Remember, you won't have access to a gym, or a treadmill, or work-out DVD's. They will give you an exercise band at the MTC (or at least they did when I was there, anyone know if they still do?) but most of us didn't know how to use it. So you will have the floor, probably a towel or a blanket for an exercise mat, and possibly an exercise band. I ask again, what would you do? If it's good weather, you could go outside and run. Would you get bored of just running all the time? What if your companion is like me and doesn't run? Remember you have to be within sight of your companion at all times. What outdoor exercises are there other than running? You might have a bike, you might not. It depends on the mission and the area.

Today's tip is this: Make sure you have a list of different exercises before you leave for your mission. Make sure you know how to do these exercises correctly and that they help strengthen the part of your body and/or the skills you want to focus on. Also, be sure you find exercises you will enjoy doing. You will be doing them at 6:30 in the morning so make it something worth getting out of bed for! And if you're obedient, you'll be doing it every morning (except Sundays) for 18 months or 2 years so you'll want a variety. You don't want to get bored with it.

I am probably the last person you'd ask for advice about exercising so I will need help from all of you out there. Please comment! RM's, what did you do for exercising on your mission? Anyone have specific work-out DVD's they like? What about Wii Fit Plus or other exercising video games? While you won't have these on your mission, they might be good to use now to get ideas. I bet you could also find tons of ideas on Youtube.

Well, I hope this post was helpful. In a nutshell, learn how to exercise before you leave. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment